Wednesday, June 30, 2004

I am a Citizen of No Mean City










I went to "Taste of Chicago" last night, and that's just what I got, a taste of Chicago...

Children and the elderly and couples holding hands, fat people, thin people, rich people, poor people, southside, northside, every race and creed, all shoulder-to-shoulder and nose-to-armpit...

We have spires and lights and fountains and gulls and wind from the lake on a summer evening, and we have overpriced falafel, pizza, and beer.

For me the experience was even more interesting, because I was the only one in the group who didn't speak Chinese (though by the end of the evening, I had learned a few words.) We killed some time in an apartment on the 32nd floor of the fanciest apartment building I have ever been in, looking at the city lights, before the evening ended.

No comments: