Monday, July 05, 2004

Ray Bradbury Day




Hannah Shapero has a much nicer 4th of July post than I do. Evocative. Go read this and then re-read your copy of The Illustrated Man.

Technically it's not the Fourth of July anymore, as I write this. I stayed up late playing Mau (a card game which involves changing the rules as you go along. Today, we ended up singing only on cards divisible by three, and saying "Hail Holy Queen of Hearts." Our games never stop for a point of order...)

Before that, we sang "This Land is Your Land" and tried to remember the communist verses, and watched fireworks, of which pictures above. And before that, we watched the Cubs beat the White Sox to sweep the series (hooray!). And before that, we watched "They Might be Giants" play Taste of Chicago. They ceded sovereignty of the band to the crowd...

Anyway, I had a happy Fourth, and I hope all of you did as well, including those of you who live in countries where, for some reason, they don't celebrate it.

4 comments:

Sean said...

I love playing Mau!

My friends and I play with the same rules each time, but neither in the game or out can you say the rules. You just have to try and learn and guess from the people who already know how to play. We're having a harder time recruiting rookies, though, since we had a "Strip Mau" game, where every time you got penalized, you had to remove an article of clothing.

Mary said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mary said...

[takes penalty card for discussing the rules]

I can see where strip Mau would be an inevitable development... Possibly my friends and I are just too inhibited. I mean, really, I was playing with a guy who made us pray every time the Queen of Hearts showed up...

Mary said...

Incidentally - Hi, Santi. :-)